At Malcolm Murphy Hair we specialise in hair extensions and do hundreds of hair extension consultations each year. This guide will help you maximise your consultation with your stylist so you can find out all the information you need. Our hair extensions last four to six months so it is a big undertaking, it's important you do your research before taking the plunge. So wherever you are choosing to have a consultation for hair extensions, make sure you arrive armed with questions.
Hair Extension Questions to Ask During a Consultation
Do you use REMY hair?
REMY is a process that ensures all of the hair cuticles are facing the same direction. This is very important and is a good indicator of the quality level of the brand of hair extensions you are using. Your stylist should also know about where the hair comes from and how it is processed. Don't be afraid to ask questions!
How are extensions applied?
Most salons more than likely will have a couple of options for application. If they suggest one above the other for you, ask them why. They should be at ease with discussing their preference with you – and that is a good sign. You want someone who is willing to take the time to make sure you understand what it is you are having applied, how to maintain it and why. Extensions are not an exact science. There are so many “moving parts” to consider. It is not unusual for us to use two or more techniques/systems on a client for a natural, comfortable and lasting effect. This is a LUXURY service and should be treated as such by your stylist. They should be interested and attentive in answering your hair extension questions.
The colour match is one of the most important parts of the consultation. A good stylist should understand that the colour of your “new” hair should not just match, but also complement. Keep in mind that extensions are an easy way to add high and/or low lights without using chemicals. Agreeing on colour choices before application is absolutely essential. Just make sure you give your stylist enough time to pick out the correct shades. In Great Lengths there are over 160 shades to choose from and all can be intermixed allowing for endless colour options.
How long will they last?
At Malcolm Murphy Hair we recommend that our Great Lengths cold fusion hair extensions can last four to six months. This will vary from salon to salon on what they recommend. This also depends on how often you shampoo, how fast your hair grows, and the length and density of the natural hair you are working with to cover the bonds. Some systems are reusable, which can prove more affordable with the correct maintenance, and IF you are a candidate. For example Great Lengths Tape extensions can be reused up to three times which makes it more affordable. With any application the general rule is, if you look after the hair extensions they will last longer.
What goes into the proper maintenance? Ask about shampoo and conditioner and recommended styling products to help with the manageability and longevity of your style. Ask about how to brush it out, how best to style it and any tricks of the trade, like what to do with it when you’re sleeping. There is loads of information on maintaining hair extensions on our website too!
Removal, Cost and Maintenance
Most damage can be done in attempting to remove the bond (and usually in a hurry) rather than in the application or wearing of the hair extensions. Make sure you find out all about the salons removal service and how much it will cost.
As for the cost of hair extensions just remember that you get what you pay for. Hair extensions are not cheap. Especially if you are looking for quality. Just keep in mind that someone had to shampoo and prep your hair, blow it dry, choose the right colors, apply it PROPERLY, without damage, cut it into your desired style, educate you on how to care for it at home, and consider what might serve you best for professional maintenance. Oh, and don’t forget – SOMEONE had to grow it! Don't forget that most salons will have options. The more hair you have and the longer hair you choose the more expensive it will be.
Now do your research and book that consultation. I promise you this when you find the right stylist and the right hair extensions you will NEVER look back.
Unless you have been living under a rock for the past week you will have noticed our client and friend Rebekah Vardy has been busy slaying the jungle in 'I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here!'. Since being in the jungle people keep asking us how she keeps her Great Lengths hair extensions looking so good? Another common question we've been asked is how she manages to hide her bonds so well in the jungle? Now of course application is so important so it helps that her hair extensions were applied by hair extension expert Malcolm Murphy. But after the initial application there is still plenty you can do to make sure there isn't an attachment in sight. We have compiled a step-by-step guide on how to keep your hair extensions looking seamless.
1. Always choose your extension length depending on the length of your natural hair, for example avoid going for hair extensions that are way too long for the length of your natural hair. Your stylist at Malcolm Murphy Hair will advise you on the best length for your hair.
2. Keep up with having regular trims. An essential part of seamlessly integrating your extensions into your natural hair is trimming them to match your current cut. Just because you have just had your extensions applied does not mean you wont need another haircut for six months. Your hair will still grow and the hair extensions can get split ends from heat damage the same as your hair will.
4. Grab the curling tools! At Malcolm Murphy Hair we will give you hair extensions that you can wear curly, wavy or poker straight. However If you're having a tricky time blending your shorter hair with your new extensions try loosely waving the hair together. Shop our selection of the best curling wands here
5. Wash before wear... New extensions often have an ultra glossy finish to them. While that may be awesome to look at, it's often hard to create the same shine to your natural locks. Luckily the remedy to this problem is simple, just wash before you wear! Short on time? Try applying some KEVIN.MURPHY HAIR.RESORT.SPRAY to them for a rougher texture.
6. The big cover-up(do). Your stylist at Malcolm Murphy Hair will never apply the hair extensions to close your hairline. However as they grow down it can become more difficult to hide those pesky bonds. Here is a great tip for covering your bonds! When you want to wear your hair up, ensuring there is hair to cover your extensions, spray a soft bristle brush with hairspray and brush your real hair over the extensions as you style it.
7. Check yourself In the mirror, check your head from all angles before you step out (paparazzi waiting or not!), to ensure your extensions are not peeking through anywhere. Ask a friend to check if you have any bonds showing or try holding a mirror up at the back of your head while in front of another mirror. Just because you cannot see the back other people can!
Join Hope Against Cancer at our 5th annual fashion show for a great night out while raising money for local cancer research in Leicestershire & Rutland. The evening will be sponsored by NFU Mutual and presented by Anne Davies.
Showcasing designs from Flo & Sang, Malcolm Murphy Hair, Abiti, Mimi and Thomas and many more..
You will receive a glass of fizz on arrival and a goody bag, and there will be an opportunity to browse & purchase from stalls during the evening which will include items from the designers featured in the fashion show. Last year’s selection of stalls ranged from skincare, scarves, jewellery and crystals – so there’s something for everyone.
Tickets are £25 and can be bought by following this link
Free Vouchers for our online store: